DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Yahoo and AOL become properties of Apollo funds

Yahoo continues the fast death - 500 million user accounts stolen - Tekedia

The effervescence of time as Yahoo and AOL become properties of Apollo funds. The two internet pioneers, evidently wounded by Google and Facebook, continue to move from one hand to another. As they say, the next big thing is a click away - and that is why you cannot sleep if you are on top. Google and Facebook are on top, but do not bank on them in ten years unless they continue to innovate. And they seem to, if you consider that Facebook plans to invest $billions on research and development to remain ahead.

Breaking up media unit Oath, Verizon agreed Monday to sell Yahoo and AOL to private equity firm Apollo Global Management for $5 billion. The telecoms giant had acquired the internet pioneers as part of strategy to sell digital advertising — but wrote down the value of umbrella unit Oath by almost $5 billion in 2018 under competitive pressure from Google and Facebook. Apollo partner Reed Rayman said on LinkedIn that the "go-forward company" would be renamed Yahoo, adding the "iconic brands rank among the world’s most-visited websites."

Apart from this is a strong motivation to justify my waking up by 3am everyday just as today, there is no better news. Anyways, it is evident why this big goons are now in the trenches, they forgot to pay attention to "weak signal". Here, we say when you are big you are big. This is said to connote that nothing can "sup" and you're safe against a fall, obviously, we can see that is not true in a world that is rapidly in pursuit of civilization. Innovate or die, the gods have a creator and should be feared!

This brings me home, the world has moved past oil, and in less than two (2) decades, our major source of income would no longer be a thing of demand, rather, our sister country would be in hot demand. What is stopping us from becoming more aggressive in inventing policy(ies), cross-continental laws, and all the needed that makes us tap into the lithium that is readily resident on Zimbabwe (since it shows potentials to drive the future of global commerce), that a nation as far as China would come in here not minding that she is also in possession of the valuable mineral. DR Congo mismanagement of cobalt should be sadden enough that we become more intentional about our future.

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 14 (June 3 – Sept 2, 2024) begins registrations; get massive discounts with early registration here.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.

May you live in interesting time says the Chinese curse, and Drunker remains a thinker that should be reverenced. There are lots of things Africa could learn from what is playing out in the Global community that would help her avert many mess, but would they listen?

This remains me of the statement Nokia's CEO gave after it was acquired by Microsoft.

“we didn’t do anything wrong, but somehow, we lost”.

Nokia had been a respectable company and they didn’t do anything wrong inside of their business, however the world changed too fast for them. Their opponents had become too powerful. They missed out on learning, they missed out on changing, and thus they lost the opportunity at hand to make it big.

Not only did they miss the opportunity to earn big money, they lost the chance of survival.

What a great time to live!

The advantage you have yesterday, will be replaced by the trends of tomorrow.

Innovate or Die.

They missed out on learning,... This are heavy words here man. However, I think it not a learning issue, rather, a what to learn issue. If you recall Drucker's words, "firms should master selective abandonment".

Nokia was learning, however, they were learning irrelevant things. I think this is why Bill Gate and Elon Musk should be reverenced for broad thinking.

One of this day we would see, fell seriously sick so I had to rest.

Quote from Faleti Ayodele on May 4, 2021, 11:56 PM

This remains me of the statement Nokia's CEO gave after it was acquired by Microsoft.

“we didn’t do anything wrong, but somehow, we lost”.

Nokia had been a respectable company and they didn’t do anything wrong inside of their business, however the world changed too fast for them. Their opponents had become too powerful. They missed out on learning, they missed out on changing, and thus they lost the opportunity at hand to make it big.

Not only did they miss the opportunity to earn big money, they lost the chance of survival.

What a great time to live!

The advantage you have yesterday, will be replaced by the trends of tomorrow.

Innovate or Die.