DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Clouding Meltdown and Spectre Bugs

There is a major security issue in the world of computing: serious bugs which can cause real mayhem.  Named Meltdown and Spectre, they attack the hearts of global digital empires called the microprocessors.

"Meltdown and Spectre exploit critical vulnerabilities in modern processors. These hardware bugs allow programs to steal data which is currently processed on the computer. While programs are typically not permitted to read data from other programs, a malicious program can exploit Meltdown and Spectre to get hold of secrets stored in the memory of other running programs. This might include your passwords stored in a password manager or browser, your personal photos, emails, instant messages and even business-critical documents".

As this happens, I quickly remember a piece where I had noted that any good software acquisition strategy right now must be cloud-based. And by extension, the best way to buy hardware services is also cloud since cloud gives you the processing power just by adding a credit card to your account with the provider.

I use cloud-based services like Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud, and as small businesses around the world scramble to fix the patch, I know that Amazon/Google would take care of this for me. I do not have to invite any expert to upgrade my servers. My company's cybersecurity issues at the server level are dealt with by companies which have more resources to deal with issues that could cripple my operations.

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 14 (June 3 – Sept 2, 2024) begins registrations; get massive discounts with early registration here.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.

The personal computers would be taken care of but the heart of our businesses is in the safe hands of Amazon/Google. Problems like Meltdown and Spectre  explain why cloud is a good strategy for a small company. You can outsource must of your cybersecurity issues by going cloud.

Cloud is the present and future, both in terms of cost and resource robustness to manage hazards and other unwanted 'visitors'. Aside entities tasked with national security and other related matters, businesses benefit more by using cloud infrastructure, and personnel cost required to manage server greatly reduced as well.

There will always be 'Meltdown and Spectre', and those other funny nomenclatures we hear from time to time. Cyber attacks and bugs discoveries aren't ending anytime soon.