DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

I regret not signing Olamide – Akon

Akon, the Senegalese-American singer and entrepreneur, has revealed that he regrets not signing Olamide, the Nigerian rapper and record label boss, when he had the chance. In a recent interview with The Beat 99.9 FM, Akon said that he met Olamide through a mutual friend, Samklef, who was signed to his label at the time. He said that he was impressed by Olamide's talent and charisma, but he did not sign him because he felt that Olamide would be better off staying in Nigeria and growing his fan base there.

"I regret not signing Olamide. He is an amazing artist. I remember when Samklef brought him to me in Atlanta. He had a different style and a different vibe. I really liked him. But at that time, I was trying to support Samklef as a producer and not as an artist. So I told Olamide to go back to Nigeria and build his brand there. I thought he would be more successful in his own market. But I was wrong. He blew up and became huge. He is one of the biggest artists in Africa right now," Akon said.

Akon also praised Olamide for his business acumen and his ability to create his own label, YBNL Nation, and sign other talented artists like Fireboy DML, Adekunle Gold, Lil Kesh, and others. He said that Olamide has shown that he is not only a rapper, but also a leader and a visionary.

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 15 (Sept 9 – Dec 7, 2024) has started registrations; register today for early bird discounts.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.

"Olamide is a boss. He has done so much for himself and for other artists. He has created his own empire. He has shown that you don't need to leave your country to make it big. You can do it from home. He has inspired a lot of people with his music and his moves. I respect him a lot," Akon said.

Akon added that he still hopes to work with Olamide in the future and that he is open to collaborating with other Nigerian artists as well. He said that he loves the Nigerian music scene and that he considers Nigeria as his second home.

Uploaded files: