DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Lagos Traffic-Self Inflicted

Lagosians are tired of the traffic situation in the state, and this keeps getting worse by the day.
The question on their mind is: Would this traffic ever end or atleast take the downward trend? This is totally dependent on which route we are taking to solve this painstaking issue.
Everyone in Lagos who has spend at least 2 year in Lagos would have seen all forms of traffic in the state, and somehow would have developed a thick skin for it ??, but then we don't want thick skins right?. Hence the need for a lasting solution.

Self inflicted I say; Firstly this is due to the facts that every Traffic rule in Lagos was created by Lagosians, or say the Lagos Govt, and of course we voted them in. This doesn't directly translate to the fact that every traffic rule affects traffic negatively, but rather just one key rule which can be amended and the general populace would then be enlightened before full implementation.
RULE: One Way Traffic Rule
I'll go ahead to give numbers based on personal observations and not statistical data. During the early hours of the day (5am to 10am),

• 70% of vehicular activities are from the Mainland to the Island.
  • 20% are from other parts of Lagos to Ikeja.
  • Lastly 10% are from other parts of Lagos to any other parts of Lagos.

Note: The reverse is usully the case for the above observation during the late hours of the day (5pm to 10pm).
What this translates to is; For every dual carriageway, the other lane is absolutely underutilised. Now this is where I say the traffic issue is self inflicted. We can amend the traffic rule based on time utilization factor to accomodate demand at every point in time.
My Opinion: The less utilized lane at any time for every dual carriageway can be temporarily splitted. For instance, the 3rd mainland bridge is a 4 lane dual carriage road, during the early hours, the opposite 4 lanes can be splitted into a 2-laned single carriageway.
The reverse can be repeated for the late hours of the day for the other 4 lanes.
Constraints:

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 14 (June 3 – Sept 2, 2024) begins registrations; get massive discounts with early registration here.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.

1. Dual carriageways are known as high speed lanes, with speedlimits almost at 80mph. This can increase road accidents due to potential head on collisions. This can be cubbed with an intense public awareness and reduced speed to safe limits.
  2. Every exit and entry points for the splitted lanes would require minor constructions/adjustment at both ends. This is a challenge I put to every Structural Engineer and the Commissioner for Transportation in Lagos.

The second reason why the Lagos traffic is self inflicted is basically around the road users. Zero patience, wrong road usage, broken down vehicles on highways, etc. A little effort from every road user can simply eliminate this and reduce the traffic problems we are facing.

adios

"Lagosians are tired of the traffic situation in the state, and this keeps getting worse by the day." The solution will be moving some opportunities  especially seaports out of Lagos. Until we do that, all solutions will be marginal in nature.

Henry Ejinwa has reacted to this post.
Henry Ejinwa

I totally agree with you prof, a very lasting solution.