DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Opera evolving as Africa's "Internet"

How do you make money if you do not run adverts and at the same time you fund free data for users of your news and video apps? Opera, a browser, continues to hack growth in Africa.

Opera News has reached a new milestone of five million downloads in the African market during the first quarter of the year, becoming the number one news app in Africa and the fastest growing Opera product of the year. The company is celebrating this milestone with a free data reward campaign in partnership with Safaricom to show love and appreciation to all Opera News users in Kenya.

As I have noted in the past, Opera simply wants to become the "Internet" in Africa by making itself a platform and an aggregator at the same time. Yes,  it is evolving as a platform with capabilities to abstract away most internet services at the level of its browser. That is a solid business model, and that is exciting.

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 14 (June 3 – Sept 2, 2024) begins registrations; get massive discounts with early registration here.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.

As it adds payment, bringing in-browser payment, I see a major dislocation there. Why use a fintech product when your browser is a payment app

My thinking is that Opera will increasingly make it easier for the bulk of its customer base to do more on its platform, thereby saving them more money in visiting the main Internet. Technically, your Internet can end in Opera.