DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Smash Mouth Singer Steve Harwell Is in Hospice Care

Sad news for fans of the rock band Smash Mouth. The lead singer Steve Harwell, who is best known for hits like "All Star" and "I'm a Believer", has been admitted to hospice care after a long battle with heart disease.

According to a statement from his family, Harwell has been suffering from cardiomyopathy, a condition that affects the heart's ability to pump blood, for several years. He recently underwent a surgery to implant a device that helps regulate his heartbeat, but his condition worsened and he was moved to a hospice facility on Monday.

"Steve is in good spirits and surrounded by his loved ones. He is grateful for all the support and prayers he has received from his fans and friends. He asks for privacy and respect during this difficult time," the statement read.

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 14 (June 3 – Sept 2, 2024) begins registrations; get massive discounts with early registration here.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.

Harwell, 54, formed Smash Mouth in {1994} with guitarist Greg Camp, bassist Paul De Lisle and drummer Kevin Coleman. The band rose to fame in the late {1990s} and early {2000s} with their catchy pop-rock songs that blended elements of ska, punk and surf music. They sold over 10 million albums worldwide and had several songs featured in movies like Shrek, Rat Race and Mystery Men.

In recent years, Harwell had been dealing with various health issues, including diabetes, asthma and weight gain. He also faced some controversies, such as an onstage meltdown in {2015} where he cursed at fans who threw bread at him during a concert. He later apologized and blamed his behavior on medication and exhaustion.

Despite his struggles, Harwell remained passionate about music and continued to perform with Smash Mouth until last month, when he announced his retirement from the band. He said he wanted to focus on his health and spend more time with his family.

"Smash Mouth has been my life for over 25 years and I'm so proud of what we have accomplished. I want to thank my bandmates, our crew, our fans and everyone who has supported us along the way. You have made my dreams come true and I will always be grateful. I love you all," he said in a farewell message.

We wish Steve Harwell all the best and hope he finds peace and comfort in his final days. He will always be accepted and remembered as an icon of pop culture and also a star in our hearts.