DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The Lagos Food Banks and BBC Reporting

People, I have deleted, on LinkedIn, the BBC Newshour post on the food bank in Lagos. The comments were full of distortions. According to the BBC radio report yesterday, a woman said she received food for her family from a government run food bank (not food bank, not FoodBank or Food Bank). I only asked if the government was running a food bank.  I felt it was a nice report which projected Nigeria in a positive light. Indeed, the nation is doing what some Western countries do: have the last option where families in need can grab food for the day!

But in the responses, there were confusions with  companies named Lagos FoodBank, Food Bank Initiative, etc. We know that churches, NGOs, etc run food banks. But I was asking if the government does that. Possibly, the problem was from me as I did not differentiate between Food Bank or FoodBank  (the NGO) and food bank (getting food for delivery to those in need). About 98% of the comments focused on Food Bank or FoodBank (the company).

All the mistakes are mine including those who felt I was ignorant that food banks exist in Nigeria. You do not tell that to a young man who ran one himself. At Alade Avenue Ikeja, when I was in banking, on that street, my nickname was “Chairman”. Why? Last Friday of every month, I would buy all the mama puts for people to eat. It was a way of feeling good because the bank was paying so much money and I felt good sharing that way. 

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 14 (June 3 – Sept 2, 2024) begins registrations; get massive discounts with early registration here.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.

----

BBC Newshour today by Tim Franks came out really fine. A BBC correspondent in Lagos reported how Nigerians were suffering due to inflation, Ukraine war, insecurity, etc. But by the time the reporter concluded, he ended up projecting Nigeria in a really positive way: a widow said she had gone to a food bank in Lagos State where she received enough food to serve her and her five children for two weeks.

People, is that true? I mean this was a radio program so there was no visual. But if indeed this is happening in Lagos or broad Nigeria, why are we not reading about such from the local press?

In this political season, one could be accused of many things. But if Lagos State does have a food bank, I want to commend Governor Sanwo-Olu and his team. Nigeria is relatively rich to guarantee food security for its citizens and we have to use all means to execute that playbook, including stimulating employment, running food banks, etc.

Nice reporting BBC; I just learnt that Nigeria now runs food banks! That is promising even as we work harder to make it possible for any citizen who wants a job to find gainful employment.