DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The power of language in commerce

Communication is the operating system of commerce and money does the handshaking. In this video, the seller is speaking Igbo, and has adopted Anambra State as his State. More so, he gave the price in Igbo!

In China and some Southeast Asian countries, sellers are finding how to win the hearts of their customers, by learning their languages. In Awka, in China’s Confucius Institute, the traders in Anambra are also learning Mandarin and languages to help them thrive in the remote parts of China where they get bargain prices.

The first time I tasted zobo during NYSC, I asked the woman who sold it how to say certain things in Hausa: if a seller has has zobo (kuna zobo?) and how much is zobo (nawa zobo), etc. Armed with those, I did get discounts from sellers who truly appreciated the efforts to speak Hausa!

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 14 (June 3 – Sept 2, 2024) begins registrations; get massive discounts with early registration here.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.

Competitive advantages in markets come in many ways. Language, especially in trading, should not be neglected.

Comment on Feed: This post brilliantly highlights the pivotal role of communication in business and how mastering the art of language can serve as a strategic tool in commerce. Your insights on the mutual efforts between sellers and buyers to bridge language barriers—not just as a means to transact but to connect on a more personal level—are truly inspiring. It's a testament to the fact that when businesses invest time in understanding and respecting their customers' cultures and languages, they not only foster better relationships but also carve out significant competitive advantages. Your experiences with language learning and its impact on commerce, both locally and internationally, underscore the value of cultural empathy in business. This approach not only enriches the trading experience but also builds lasting bonds beyond mere transactions. Thank you for sharing these valuable observations.