DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

US Free Trade with Africa

U.S President, Donald Trump in his meeting with African leaders

Trump wants a free trade with Africa. I nominate Lai Mohammed, Nigeria’s information minister, to lead it for Africa. The only condition would be that Trump and Lai must negotiate directly. It would be epic battle. I think we have a chance! Nigeria will commit to export 10 tons of jellof rice to U.S. while U.S. sends us imported toothpicks and more [they could import from China and re-ship].

The U.S. government has said that it was currently looking for African countries that would be interested in bilateral free trade agreements with it.

Peter Haas, the U.S. Deputy Assistant Secretary for Trade Policy and Negotiation told journalists in a teleconference that it was a big deal for the U.S. to be looking towards Africa.

“What we were looking for are African countries that would be interested in having bilateral free trade agreements with us.

“I think one of the things that I would like to point out is that this is a kind of big deal for us, to be looking at countries in Africa for possible free trade agreements.

“We are also targeting meetings with the African Union to discuss the future of the U.S.-Africa trade relationship.

“We will be looking at countries that express interest to determine which ones make sense, both in terms of capacity, readiness, and all of those things,’’ he said.

You may not like China but it is strengthening Africa. Without the “back door free trade” China is working in Africa via the Yuan currency swap, U.S. might not have even thought of bringing Africa on the table for free trade. As Africa moves to China, U.S. wants to pull it back to the West.

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 14 (June 3 – Sept 2, 2024) begins registrations; get massive discounts with early registration here.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.

Personally, any free trade without free movement of people (I laugh) should not happen. Every African should enter U.S. visa-free. Can Trump put that on the negotiating table?