The Indian Premier League reinvented the system of the cricket business on a very basic level. It started by changing its method to alternatives and reorienting from clients to noncustomers of the business. IPL match betting is your chance to get the most compelling odds.
IPL costs 5-6 billion: how did the league achieve this?
The return of Chennai was particularly notable from the point of view of the interest of the fans. 10,000 spectators came to the first pre-season training session of the team. The two-year ban did not prevent the Super Kings from becoming the most expensive brand of IPL participants – 65 million according to Brand Finance.
According to their data, the league’s brand value as a whole grew by 37% at the end of the 2018 season. It reached an all-time high of 5.3 billion. Top international companies operating in the Indian market and local brands are building their marketing plans to get the most out of the IPL season.
- For example, in 2017, separate advertising campaigns at the start of the tournament were simultaneously launched.
- They were the local Amazon office, the Indian departments of popular companies. For the local market, the start of the IPL is analogous to the Super Bowl.
- Simultaneously with the signing of a new media contract, IPL also renewed the agreement with the title sponsor.
- The Chinese smartphone manufacturer Vivo paid 13 million, and under a new five-year agreement, it will pay 61.5 million each year – almost five times more.
Major contract with Star India brings money and popularity
Star India, combining all the rights, focused on the Indian regions. In India, according to 2007 data alone, there are more than 30 languages ??spoken by more than a million people, except for state Hindi. There, speakers are only about 40% of the population. The new broadcaster chose four languages ??in addition to English from Hindi and launched broadcasts in the desired regions with commentary on them.
- For the final match, Star expanded its coverage to eight languages. The move brought 22% audience growth over the previous season.
- The popularity of broadcasting in rural areas, where two-thirds of the population of India live, has steadily grown with broadcasts from Sony.
- In addition, starting in 2016, Indian companies that are engaged in audience research have been calculating in more detail areas remote from large cities.
- First, they covered restaurants and bars, then households. The copyright holders received a big plus in statistics and additional income.
- Now Star India has taken a major step towards a new audience, especially in the southern regions of India.
Only TV broadcasts on Star in the 2018 season were seen by 450 million people (9% growth compared to last year). It was separately watched the final 173 million (+ 43%). Broadcaster does everything to make the broadcasts attractive. For example, cricketers are constantly giving interviews right during the match, being on the field.
During each game, the owner of the rights has 47 minutes of advertising time. Star’s revenue for the first season on a five-year contract was about 300 million (50% more than last season of Sony). If the rate of growth continues, by the end of the agreement Star will help out about 4 billion.
The cross-platform OTT service Hotstar, which is also part of the holding with Star India, has powerfully grown its online audience. By the middle of the 2018 season, it attracted 150 million new users. The parent company has invested heavily in the technical modernization of Hotstar. By the way, sport was a reason, but not the only reason for investment. Hotstar also has other attractive exclusives.