Nigerian episode does not look great. Everyone is not getting any decent deal in the contraction named Nigeria. Today, it is the Abuja natives. Everyone is protecting and no one seems happy. That is very troubling for a country.
Natives of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) today in Abuja protested half-naked to back up their campaign against the government for neglect and marginalization, and threatened a quit notice to all residents to vacate the city.
The group, under the umbrella of FCT Natives Marginalized Youths, handed down the warning after they brought their protest to the gates of the National Assembly.
Addressing the protesters, the leader of the group, Yinusa Buhu Bokunun, affirmed that for many decades the government has ignored the pleas of the FCT natives over their marginalization, deprivation and exclusion.
They accused the government of manipulating the constitution to discriminate and marginalize them, and demanded:
(1) Appointment of an FCT native into the Federal Executive Council for the purpose of geographical balance and equity.
(2) Creation of two additional Senatorial Districts and 4 additional Federal Constituencies.
(3) An elected Mayoral Council to form the legislative arm of the city Government.
(4) Integration of the original inhabitants in the development of the FCT, instead of resettlement.
(5) Creation of an Abuja Original Inhabitants Developments Commission to undertake specific infrastructural development.
Some photos, courtesy of Sahara Reporters