Biomedical Engineering, as discipline, represents the intersection between engineering and the medical sciences. It is a novel field that is gradually being introduced for learning across tertiary institutions in Nigeria. It covers areas such as Robotics, Wearables, Nano-technology, Artificial Organs, Implants, Prosthetics, Medical Imaging, Bio-electronics, Telemedicine, Biomedical Signal Processing and Instrumentation etc.
The novelty nature of this discipline therefore implies that students as well as instructors have limited access to educational resources that could aid the transfer of knowledge in Nigeria. It is for this reason, and more that, a call for authorship is been made.
Authors with advanced degree or currently pursuing advanced degree in Biomedical Engineering or Biomedical Science are invited to contribute book chapters (see topics of interest below) towards the development of a Biomedical Engineering Handbook for Undergraduates in Nigeria.
This would no doubt facilitate learning and development of skills within this industry. Besides, it offers authors the opportunity to contribute significantly towards raising the standard of education within this discipline, in Nigeria /Africa, where applicable.
For those interested, please contact Olayinka Oduwole ([email protected]) for details on submission, detailed information on the sub-topics for the various topics of interest as well as a sample chapter as a guide.
TOPICS OF INTEREST
Topics of Interest include, but are not limited, to the following
- Introduction to Biomedical Engineering in Nigeria
- Introductory cell and Molecular Biology
- Anatomy and Physiology for Engineers
- Biomaterials Science
- Biomedical Instrumentation
- Physiological Fluid Mechanics
- Tissue Engineering & Regenerative Medicine
- Biomedical Informatics
- Clinical Engineering
- Prosthetics, Orthotics & Artificial organs
- Bio transport Phenomena
- Rehabilitation Engineering
- Medical Image Processing
- Characterization of Biomedical samples using TEM, SEM, AFM, XRD, XPS, FTIR etc.
- Pattern recognition
- Quality assurance in diagnostic radiology
- Failure analysis of implants
- Microprocessors in Medical Instrumentation