More than 52 years after American activist Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated, his quotes have continued to inspire lovers of justice globally. His famous 1963 “I have a dream” speech created goal setting quotes for racial justice that echoed through the minds and hearts of people, who thus are inspired to fight the cause of justice for themselves and others. It is believed to have birthed movements like Black Lives Matter (BLM), an organization founded in 2013 to fight racial injustice.
In May 2020, George Floyd, a Black American man was murdered by the police, opening an old wound from the racial injustice that took the life of King Jr. Floyd’s death spurred an unprecedented global quest for justice which about a year later, paid off when the killer-cop was convicted. It thus marks a significant shift in the status quo that has characterized life in the United States even years after King Jr.’s death.
In the wake of the Black Lives Matter demonstrations following Floyd’s death, a 1967 speech by King Jr. at Stanford University became increasingly resonant. “A riot is the language of the unheard.” He had said that to point out that “as long as America postpones justice,” there will be “recurrences of violence and riots over and over again.”
On Monday June 1, 2021, the US President Joe Biden became the first sitting president to visit Tulsa, Oklahoma, a Black race town known as Black Wall Street that was destroyed by a racist mob on May 31 and June 1, 1921. Biden’s visit was to mark the 100th anniversary of the Tulsa Race Massacre, a part of efforts to address systemic racism. Biden made racial justice a pillar of his presidential campaign, a message he intensified after the killing of George Floyd. But it all started with the goal setting quotes made by King Jr. over 50 years ago.
Nevertheless, racial justice is not the only area King Jr.’s goal setting quotes have caused a change, they have been practical in many other areas of human endeavors – leadership, sports, business, financial planning etc.
“If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” It is one of King Jr.’s quotes that have inspired businesses.
But he is not the only one who has inspirational quotes. Men and women from all works of life, who have, in the course of their various activities accumulated experiences, have also shared motivational quotes about goals which have inspired people to success.
“You are old enough to get a job. That’s where money comes from.” That’s the goal setting response that inspired Dave Ramsey to become an entrepreneur. His father had told him that when he was 12, and had asked for money to buy popsicle, and it spurred him to action. At early stage of his life, Ramsey delved into many business ventures and became a millionaire at 26. Although there were mistakes, he learned valuable money lessons from each one of them. Today, Ramsey has an empire of businesses including financial planning services.
What is goal setting?
Goal setting is the process of identifying something that you want to accomplish and establishing measurable goals and timeframes to achieve it, according to YourDictionary.
This definition denotes determination to achieve ones aim, developing the needed discipline to repudiate procrastination, and developing the mettle to face potential challenges.
Why do you need quotes about goal setting?
Goals drive people to accomplish extraordinary tasks and setting them requires motivation. Usually, goal setting quotes come from accomplished individuals who speak through their personal experience. For instance, King Jr. didn’t sit at home telling people about his dream of “a day when Black people will not be judged by the color of their skin.” He was in the streets where he eventually paid the ultimate price, setting the goal for such a day. It has been one of the main reasons people find motivation in his quotes; he walked the talk.
Goal setting quotes come from practical engagements that have yielded results. Thus, they inspire aspiring individuals to action. Thinking about one or two quotes daily can improve the ability to scale goal-hindering hurdles.
“Obstacles are those frightening things that become visible when we take our eyes off our goals,” said Henry Ford
The above quote beams with an example of the sort of encouragement people can derive from goal setting quotes, to push through the challenges they may encounter on their way to achieve their goals.
Entrepreneur and business developer, Dr. Vijay Soni made ‘quotes’ number 5 in his piece: 10 Things Successful People do for Motivation. He said: “Whatever motivational quote you decide on, print it out and tape it to your mirror. Or if you want to get fancy with it, take a marker and write it on the mirror!
“That’ll get you going in the morning!”
As the world develops, technological and scientific advancement is creating opportunities for new business ideas to be developed. Developing such ideas into successful inventions, businesses and requires planning, setting goals, and goal setting quotes for motivation.
Here are forty goal setting quotes that can motivate anyone to climb the hills of success.
- “Setting goals is the first step in turning the invisible into the visible.” Tony Robbins
- “No desired achievement is gained without any goal setting.” Wayne Chirisa
- “You need a plan to build a house. To build a life, it is even more important to have a plan or goal.” Zig Ziglar
- “If you want to be happy, set a goal that commands your thoughts, liberates your energy and inspires your hopes.” Andrew Carnegie
- “A goal is a dream with a deadline.” Napoleon Hill
- “All who have accomplished great things have had a great aim, have fixed their gaze on a goal which was high, one which sometimes seemed impossible.” Orison Swett Marden
- “Without dreams and goals there is no living, only merely existing, and that is not why we are here.” Mark Twain
- “You have to set goals that are almost out of reach. If you set a goal that is attainable without much work or thought, you are stuck with something below your true talent and potential.” Steve Garvey
- “No desired achievement is gained without any goal setting.” Wayne Chirisa
- “If you want to reach your goals and dreams, you cannot do it without discipline.” Lee Kuan Yew
- “Review your goals twice every day in order to be focused on achieving them.” Les Brown
- “Cut your excuses in half and double your actions around your goals.” Robin S. Sharma
- “The first step to achieving your goal, is to take a moment to respect your goal. Know what it means to you to achieve it.” Dwayne Johnson
- “Without a plan, even the most brilliant business can get lost. You need to have goals, create milestones and have a strategy in place to set yourself up for success.” Yogi Berra
- “A person should set his goals as early as he can and devote all his energy and talent to getting there.” Walt Disney
- “I’m a firm believer in goal setting. Step by step. I can’t see any other way of accomplishing anything.” Michael Jordan
- “Achieve self-mastery over your thoughts, and constantly direct them toward your goals and objectives. Learn to focus your attention on the goals that you want to achieve and on finding ways to achieve those goals.” Napoleon Hill
- “Goals give you more than a reason to get up in the morning; they are an incentive to keep you going all day.” Harvey MacKay
- “Setting goals helps bring your future into your present and the present is the only time we can take action.” Zig Ziglar
- “When a goal matters enough to a person, that person will find a way to accomplish what at first seemed impossible.” Nido R. Qubein
- “My dreams are worthless, my plans are dust, my goals are impossible. All are of no value unless they are followed by action.” Og Mandino
- “Lacking an external focus, the mind turns inward on itself and creates problems to solve, even if the problems are undefined or unimportant. If you find a focus, an ambitious goal that seems impossible and forces you to grow, these doubts disappear.” Tim Ferriss
- “Our goal is to find an outstanding business at a sensible price, not a mediocre business at a bargain price.” Warren Buffett
- “I don’t focus on what I’m up against. I focus on my goals and I try to ignore the rest.” Venus Williams
- “People with goals succeed because they know where they’re going.” Earl Nightingale
- “It must be borne in mind that the tragedy of life doesn’t lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goals to reach.” Benjamin E. Mays
- “One way to keep momentum going is to have constantly greater goals.” Michael Korda
- “The trouble with not having a goal is that you can spend your life running up and down the field and never score.” – Bill Copeland
- “Goals. There is no telling what you can do when you get inspired by them. There is no telling what you can do when you believe in them. And there’s no telling what will happen when you act upon them.” – Jim Rohn
- “All who have accomplished great things have had a great aim, have fixed their gaze on a goal which was high, one which sometimes seemed impossible.” – Orison Swett Marden
- “Life is short, fragile and does not wait for anyone. There will NEVER be a perfect time to pursue your dreams and goals. ” – Unknown
- “My philosophy of life is that if we make up our mind what we are going to make of our lives, then work hard toward that goal, we never lose – somehow we always win out.” – Ronald Reagan
- “Aim at the sun, and you may not reach it; but your arrow will fly far higher than if aimed at an object on a level with yourself.” – J. Howes
- “Most “impossible” goals can be met simply by breaking them down into bite size chunks, writing them down, believing them, and then going full speed ahead as if they were routine.” – Don Lancaster
- “Our goals can only be reached through a vehicle of a plan, in which we must fervently believe, and upon which we must vigorously act. There is no other route to success.” Pablo Picasso
- “Our plans miscarry because they have no aim. When a man does not know what harbor he is making for, no wind is the right wind.” Seneca
- “It is not enough to take steps which may someday lead to a goal; each step must be itself a goal and a step likewise.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- “We should set our goals; then learn to control our appetites. Otherwise, we will lose ourselves in the confusion of the world.” Hark Herald Sarmiento
- “On the way to your goal, you can always stop, rest, go the opposite way for a while; but after a reasonable time you must set off again towards your goal!”? Mehmet Murat ildan
- “Writing and achieving your goals is not failure, not having a goal to write in the first place is the start of failure.” – Onyi Anyado
For decades, quotes have been documented to motivate and inspire people to achieve their goals. Goals touch all aspects of life and setting them requires motivation. The best type of motivation comes from those who have walked their talk, making their words an accelerator of action for people who want to tow the path of success.
Many successful people have been inspired by goal setting quotes, and many who have dreams are still going to be inspired. Goals are co-travelers in the journey to success and everyone wishing to be successful needs to set a goal. The above listed goal setting quotes were put together to motivate people who have dreams and visions, and to inspire them on their way to success.