DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Cristiano Ronaldo Cashes Out in Saudi Arabia

Ronaldo Signs ~$200M per Year Deal with Saudi Arabia’s Al Nassr: He’s Paid His Dues, Time to Make Money

When CRonaldo exited from ManU, I said that he had played the last game at the top level in Europe. Many in the community did not agree, positing that many club suitors would come. Today, CR has done what legends of football do: cash out on the path to retirement: “Ronaldo reportedly signed for the Saudi Arabian side on a near $200 million per year contract that will keep him in Asia until 2025, after he failed to secure a club in Europe”.

On Nov 19 2022, I wrote: “Redemption is hard in team sports when an anchor goes on air to complain about the team, team mates, coaches and owners. Simply, we are witnessing the exit of Cristiano Ronaldo from top club competitions. After the World Cup, CR will have limited options since he will not like to play for bottom of the table clubs.

"Of course, that is not a bad thing: he has won anything winnable in club football, and he has served the game. What remains now is for him to have a durable after-shelf life, in the business of football. That means as a G.O.A.T, he can score to the banks…” Indeed, that is a big bank score - $200m per year is so much that he can fund some state budgets in Nigeria with that war chest! It is what it is: CR deserves any cent of that deal.

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 14 (June 3 – Sept 2, 2024) begins registrations; get massive discounts with early registration here.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.

Comment on Feed

Comment:  Who knows, he may just revolutionize Arabian Football… I don’t see any loss in the move, reputational or otherwise. It’s a win-win for Ronaldo and the Arabian/Asian football community. Congrats to the GOAT.

My ResponseThe fun about club football is not the kicking and scoring. The fun is a rivalry.  For Saudi Arabia's Al Nassr FC to have a chance, it would have hired another legend for another club. In other words, you need to create a competing fan base to make it exciting.  Beckham tried that in the US, but it failed. Thierry Henry did, it failed. CR experiment will not have any impact for the club and association unless they can create "artificial enmity" by signing another big guy in the league. But CR is fine: the digits are rejoicing in his bank account.