DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

DStv Reserves for TStv Challenge

Page 1 of 2Next

Last night Premiership was for W. Rooney, Arsenal Stars, Man City Sterling and Man U in general. Here in South Africa, I watched deep into the night.

It is only within South Africa that you will appreciate the capacity of DStv.  What they pipe into Nigeria as programs are less than 60% of their contents.

This is the challenge for TStv. If DStv notices any traction from its competitors, it can scale up contents into Nigeria to keep customers. Sure, they could pay variable (extra units) licenses to expand rights to more territories.  But that will be cheaper than those starting from scratch. TStv has a huge challenge ahead of it in Nigeria.

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 14 (June 3 – Sept 2, 2024) begins registrations; get massive discounts with early registration here.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.

DStv parent is Africa's richest company, by market capitalization.  The whole of Nigerian Stock Exchange is not up to 40% of its value. They are playing this game from the positions of strengths. Anyone going into this business must spend time in South Africa to see "reserves" they have which can be used in Nigeria, if necessary.

To be honest, I do not see how anyone, not India's founder of Jio, can take DStv without bleeding cash.

NB: Piece updated on the number of channels in SuperSports. 

Rich contents backed by plenty cash,  are the keywords in the business.

You are very funny. Your post is baseless as it deviate from fundamental issues which need to be address properly. According to your post, what DSTV pipe into Nigeria as programs are less than 60% of their content. One of the most widely view channel in Nigeria is sports channel and that is premier league, la liga and champions league. Once TSVT capture this then the rest is workover.

Consequently, TSTV want to offer pay per view just like Glo pay per second to break the monopolistic power of DSTV and give customers wide range of options to choose. Also your decoder can be use to access internet via wifi.

Other factors includes reputational risk, corportate inteligent, competitive advantage via advertisement, internal weakness of DSTV and other factors. These factors could possibly ruin the activities of DSTV as new customers would prefer to get package that gives them more options, cheaper package and easy accessibility.

Change is always constant but don't wait for change to change you.

Oladele E.

(08022751311)

Hi there, just to clarify, the number of super sport channels in Nigeria are almost 12 depending on you bouquet. Even got the lowest bouquet, you still have about 4 of the channels available. So that your assertion is not correct sir

Dear Ndubuisi, this very article lacks facts and I don't see the reason for it in the first place. Just like Oladele rightly said, DSTV has about 12 sports channels in Nigeria, so your claim that they are only giving Nigerians about 60% of their channels is false and purely baseless.

Also, your claim that DSTV is bigger than the entire Nigerian Stock Exchange is also very much baseless, I want you to provide facts and figures to back this claim.

And quite honestly I don't the reason why you are so excited talking about DSTV and very pessimistic about TSTV, probably they have offered you FREE monthly Subscriptions, hence the need for this article.

I love reading most of your articles but this very one is uncalled for and lacks any form of intelligence.

Thanks

Victor O.

Baseless assertion, Ndubuisi.

"Also, your claim that DSTV is bigger than the entire Nigerian Stock Exchange is also very much baseless, I want you to provide facts and figures to back this claim."

I did not say that DSTv is bigger than NSE (that is a distortion from you). I said Naspers, its parent company.  Naspers has a market cap of 1.55 trillion rand (about $110 billion).  NSE has about 10 trillion Naira which is less than $30 billion. But I said less than 50% in case NSE changed to $60 billion overnight as I did not check before writing. In real terms, NSE is about 30% of the Naspers. Do not become sentimental on these things. It is not about patriotism. Just know facts. We hate such in Nigeria because we like to feel big.

On the number of Supersport channels,  that does not change my point. But I have updated it to avoid the distraction. It may have 12 or 11, but the richness of programs in South Africa is far more.

Discussing market issues is not attack. It happens on Wall Street daily. I understand that saying that a company needs to do more is seen as being pessimistic in Nigeria. If you have that ideology, it means you have not been reading me for a long time. TStv could or could not do well. But these are the challenges it has to confront. There is nothing wrong saying that.

I love the fact that Prof. Ndubuisi has stated these facts clearly.

I do not see the need for such attacks as the points highlighted by Oladele, Victor and others do not challenge the intent of the piece. Whether DSTV has 5, 12 or 20 channels in Nigeria, has nothing to the fact that they had a more competitive advantage stemming from their parent company, and what they still have in stock (unreleased to Nigeria).

TSTV is a great, yes, but without unguided optimism, someone has to pay attention to the points Prof. has highlighted to enable TSTV build stronger frontiers to confront their competition.

Without mincing words, TSTV can overcome, but it has to challenge first.

Quote from Guest on December 5, 2017, 2:50 am

I love the fact that Prof. Ndubuisi has stated these facts clearly.

I do not see the need for such attacks as the points highlighted by Oladele, Victor and others do not challenge the intent of the piece. Whether DSTV has 5, 12 or 20 channels in Nigeria, has nothing to the fact that they had a more competitive advantage stemming from their parent company, and what they still have in stock (unreleased to Nigeria).

TSTV is a great, yes, but without unguided optimism, someone has to pay attention to the points Prof. has highlighted to enable TSTV build stronger frontiers to confront their competition.

Without mincing words, TSTV can overcome, but it has to challenge first.

Franklin C.

Thanks Franklin C. I think when we are open to discuss issues in Nigeria, that is when we will know our problems. Reporting facts should not be seen as attacks. Thanks for the comments.

Page 1 of 2Next