DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

How Smart Taxation Can Improve Innovation

In introducing a new piece today, I wrote thus:

[NB: Bear with me as there is no African case here. It is not really my fault. The fact is that great African thinkers remain largely undocumented. On Friday, I visited the book seller across NNPC Towers (Abuja) and checked all the books he was selling, 99% were on/by foreign businessmen, authors and leaders. Unless we write, this challenge would remain]

In my typical way, I have proposed that Nigeria could use smart taxation to unlock funding in our school system. If you are rich in America, donating money to schools could make you whole. In other words, there are many cases where donating to charity would save you money as a business/person.

Nigeria sees donations as expenses in our books. In U.S., it is deductible and tax-exempt. That incentivizes  the Americans to give more.

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 14 (June 3 – Sept 2, 2024) begins registrations; get massive discounts with early registration here.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.

Yes, the Nigerian tax system is not designed to support philanthropy. That is why we do not have a vibrant one. It does not mean that a nation must be rich first before its tax system can be engineered to stimulate philanthropy. Until then, our schools cannot even document our societies.

If we have better smart policy, we could have resources to document our innovation systems. Today, we know nothing of the past and the present because no one is taking note.

Bernard Nwadike has reacted to this post.
Bernard Nwadike