DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Nigeria To Spend N4.8 Billion On Surveillance

This is a big playbook for the Nigerian government at a time when resources are scarce "A total of N4.8 (4,870,350,000) billion has been allocated to the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) to monitor WhatsApp messages, phone calls, text messages, among others." Nigeria is becoming a dictatorship day by day.

Of the figure, N1.93 billion was earmarked for “WhatsApp Intercept Solution” and N2.93 billion for “Thuraya Interception Solution” – a communications system used for monitoring voice calls or call-related information, SMS, data traffic, among others. This was contained in the supplementary budget approved by the National Assembly last Wednesday.

A few days ago, you asked questions on how Nigeria could get to the mountaintop- where there would be surplus jobs but no one to fill?

I saw it but couldn’t put my thought into writing. Its test week, and my workload is much.

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 14 (June 3 – Sept 2, 2024) begins registrations; get massive discounts with early registration here.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.

However, today I have this little time, and I would.

I believe Nigeria needs to learn a lesson from the past. We cannot continue in this path of misplaced priorities if we want to rise. I am sure that the very thing happening in the West where the unfilled vacant jobs don't affect their economy is because they have built a strong economy.

Firstly, it worth noting that the nineteenth-century industrial rise of the United States was because of technological advancement. They routed this path because of labour scarcity.

So, now that they have more than ever before improved their technical capacity to expect so much labour input from them for their economic survival is a sign one doesn’t understand history. I am currently watching a series of videos on United States COVID financing, and I am learning that their economy lost $16 trillion, yet they are still surviving. Also, they are planning for the next pandemic- which validate your postulation; that the best time to apply for a job is when there are no jobs.

By the way, anyone scared of China dominance should relax it will not happen!

Yes, currently, I am aware of a wave hitting them called Lying Flat. Lying flat is similar to Timothy Leary 1960's Turn On, Tune In, Drop Out movement, which happened in the US where people are encouraged to relax in life. And although the Chinese elderly dislike it, I do not see this stopping as this would anchor another dimension of China civilization.

You work hard to enjoy life, and although dominance is a part of man, so also is a pleasure. By the way, the futile efforts of Pinky and the brain teaches us that life is not always about dominating.

So for Nigeria, we have work to do. It would start by improving the economy, which comes by using debts to fund development.

Our debts must reduce debts.

Ndubuisi Ekekwe has reacted to this post.
Ndubuisi Ekekwe

Afterthought 2: Why there are no Jobs?

In sequel to the answer I gave to your question weeks ago, I am adding this:

Firstly, I am sorry it’s coming this time. This semester is short and currently I am writing exams, so no time. Courtesy established .

Aside from the factors of bad leadership(government) and massive poorly skilled citizens in respect to the demand of this current generation, one thing many tends to overlook as the cause for job shortage is the nature of economy as conditioned.

Nigeria like many African economy is Natural Resource dependent. An extractive economy. Simply put, for us it means that most of our profit is from oil ,statistics that flow around say, “we make 70 percent of our profit from oil and 90 percent of our foreign cash come from it”. It in itself is not bad(the problem) because we are not the only one  on this path for advancement, however, the problem is the population of  fellow extractive nations as compared to ours .

One major problem extractive dependent nation have is that the whole sector is an efficiency anchored sector thus causing a least number to get the most. It cause a low number of input from human activity

The oil sector is like every other extractive sector needs high precision (a mistake is costly to both human and a system ) and human are bad at that, a disadvantage of man birthing the need for automation. It in turn cause low level of employment since a few number of highly skilled individuals are needed. Personally, I gained interest in Underwater welding because I found out that many are going scared of the space; To me it was big money!

By and large the extractive sector brings money into the ecosystem.

However, although profits are made as services are rendered, this form of innovation creates a gap as the need for only highly skilled individual makes lower skilled individuals unfit for the job. Whilst the money come in the economy to the share holders, employers,government legal through dividends,salaries ,tax and levy .

To solve this issue governmental bodies  should establish platform which enables others to make profits . This is the whole diversification of economy. This is doubled-edged as it reduces the burden on one sector, create more Job and safeguard the economy incase the resources loses the desired relevance.

However, the problem here is that most of the funds are embezzled thus keeping the Nation behind.