DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Olivia Rodrigo Responds to Theory That "Vampire" Song Is About Taylor Swift

Olivia Rodrigo has been making waves in the music industry with her debut album "Sour", which features hit songs like "Drivers License", "Deja Vu" and "Good 4 U". The album showcases Rodrigo's talent as a singer-songwriter, as well as her influences from pop icons like Taylor Swift.

Rodrigo has never been shy about expressing her admiration for Swift, who has also shown support for the young star on social media and beyond. Rodrigo even gave Swift a songwriting credit on two of her songs, "1 Step Forward, 3 Steps Back" and "Deja Vu", for interpolating melodies from Swift's songs "New Year's Day" and "Cruel Summer".

However, some fans have speculated that Rodrigo's connection to Swift goes beyond musical inspiration. A popular theory on TikTok suggests that Rodrigo's song "Vampire", which is about a toxic relationship with someone who drains her energy, is actually about Swift.

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 14 (June 3 – Sept 2, 2024) begins registrations; get massive discounts with early registration here.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.

The theory is based on several clues, such as the lyrics "You're so obsessed with yourself / Maybe you should love someone else", which could be a reference to Swift's song "You Need to Calm Down". Another clue is the line "You wear your necklaces over your neck / To hide your lies from everyone", which could be a nod to Swift's signature accessory.

Some fans also pointed out that Rodrigo and Swift have both dated actor Joe Alwyn, who is currently in a relationship with Swift. Rodrigo reportedly dated Alwyn briefly in 2019, when she was 16 and he was 28. The theory suggests that Rodrigo felt betrayed by Swift for dating her ex, and wrote "Vampire" as a way of expressing her anger and jealousy.

Rodrigo has finally addressed the theory in a recent interview with Variety, and she denied that "Vampire" is about Swift. She said that she wrote the song as a metaphor for feeling drained by a toxic person, and that it has nothing to do with Swift or Alwyn.

"I love Taylor Swift with all my heart. She's been my idol since I was a kid, and I would never write a song about her," Rodrigo said. "She's been nothing but supportive and kind to me, and I'm so grateful for that. She's an amazing artist and an amazing person."

Rodrigo also clarified that she never dated Alwyn, and that the rumors were false. She said that she met him once at a party, and they had a friendly conversation, but nothing more.

"I don't know where that rumor came from, but it's not true at all. I've never dated Joe Alwyn, and I have no hard feelings towards him or Taylor," Rodrigo said. "They're both incredible actors and musicians, and I respect them a lot."

Rodrigo added that she hopes people will focus on the music and the message of her album, rather than on gossip and speculation. She said that she wrote "Sour" as a way of healing from her own heartbreak and growing pains, and that she hopes it will help others who are going through similar experiences.

"I'm really proud of this album, and I hope it resonates with people who listen to it," Rodrigo said. "I think everyone can relate to feeling sour at some point in their lives, and I hope this album can be a source of comfort and catharsis for them."