DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The Europe's €23.3m to Fight Nigerian Corruption

The European Union has disclosed that it would spend €23.3m on a program that would improve Nigeria's capacity to fight corruption.

The EU Ambassador and Head of Delegation to Nigeria and ECOWAS, Kurt Cornelis, said this in Abuja during the inauguration of the four-year Rule of Law and Anti-Corruption Programme in Nigeria.

He said, “The European Union is providing €23.3m for the initiative, to be implemented at the federal level and in four states of Adamawa, Anambra, Kano and Lagos. Corruption and an   ineffective justice system undermine Nigeria’s effort at economic and social development and   fighting poverty.”

Cornelis, who disclosed that the British Council office in Nigeria would implement the programme

This is impressive and a lot of money. While the EU will do its normal workshops and seminars, my suggestion (watch video on link) will be for it to focus on processes to actually make it harder for corruption.  The biggest corruption is procurement corruption and I have a suggestion on how this can be done. EU can drive a similar project.

The corruption-related revelations of the last Administration in Nigeria have shown that Nigeria needs a world-class Procurement Fraud Unit to reduce or better eliminate procurement related fraud in the nation. Big data analytics is a special area of computer science that uses high-level mathematical models to provide patterns or trends out of large datasets. Procurement related corruption can be drastically reduced in Nigeria through pattern matching and analytics.In this videocast, I present a technology solution that will help Nigeria deal with its corruption issues especially on public procurement.

Well, fighting corruption is not a rocket science, neither does it require wasting too much money on reactionary measures like investigation, prosecution and the ridiculous whistle blowing policy (obviously you will wait for the crime to take place before blowing the whistle). By thinking intelligently and being proactive, we can cut most of the wastages and stealing, you can only steal what you have access to. This €23 million, I don't know how EU intends to spend it, but organising workshops and seminars won't stop corruption. In a land where no one can find anything to steal, there won't be need to know if thieves live there; that's how I want them to see this thing called corruption. Again, there's no point deploying political tool to a fight where technology/sound thinking performs much better.

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 14 (June 3 – Sept 2, 2024) begins registrations; get massive discounts with early registration here.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.

Good points here "This €23 million, I don't know how EU intends to spend it, but organising workshops and seminars won't stop corruption" and "there's no point deploying political tool to a fight where technology/sound thinking performs much better"