DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The Limits of Technology

Technology drives the world of business and increasingly competition is anchored and driven by technology.  There is nothing wrong with that: for generations, when technology advances, human welfare improves because of productivity gains.

Yet, if you are running a startup in Africa, do not think too much into the technology as the lever to glory. In short, I am not really a fan of too much technology in the space. But I am a fan of convenience and availability on tech-enabled products. The most advanced technology, unless it improves convenience and availability, is an illusion because it can hurt you in Africa.

Why have heavy graphics when your visitors are browsing on metered mobile internet? Why HD online videos when you know watching movies is a luxury in the region? Why do you think solar lamp is better than kerosene lamp when the customer is still cooking with wood, meaning he/she will still buy kerosene irrespective of the solar lamp? And besides, the promise of solar lamp that can last for 24 hours is irrelevant because most use lighting for 5 hours per day (6pm to 9pm, and 5am-7am), knocking out the 24 hours. And if they have to go to farm all-day, how do they charge it? You must provide answers to those concerns even if they do not tell you.

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 14 (June 3 – Sept 2, 2024) begins registrations; get massive discounts with early registration here.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.

If your business focuses on those at the bottom of the pyramid, think less of your technology supremacy. They do not care: focus more on fixing the frictions in their lives. And because they have fewer choices [being poor], they are risk-averse. That is why they may seem to be making poor choices [using kerosene lamp over solar lamp], but if you take time, the problem is not the dislike of solar. Rather, the inconvenience which could be as simple as not being able to recharge it when they are in farms [remember, they do not have compounds or protected areas, meaning to recharge, they need to keep guard of the solar lamp].

You have focused too much on technology, now is the time to focus on customers. Begin that in this new year.

Great tips and a wonderful advice for Technology driven startups or businesses. Same thought occurred to me

Still about 'think global, but act local'. If you are speaking a language your audience does not understand, obviously you are not communicating. And if you attempt to over-explain to your customers, it could amount to 'bullying' them or 'winning by intimidation'. When needs and challenges are well understood, with a solution seamlessly worked out to address those challenges; there might not be need for the over-education or 'preaching', which the sales/marketing guys bore their customers with most times. Technology can help improve productivity and reduce friction, but the bigger challenge is that of bridging the gap between the customers' current state and the state at which the technology can really solve the problem. Well, it's more about 'if you know how I feel, then you should know what I want.'

"Still about 'think global, but act local'. If you are speaking a language your audience does not understand, obviously you are not communicating." That is a perspective of its own. Thanks Francis.

We have to respects our limits.

Great! " if you know how I feel, then you should know what I want.'

You are absolutely correct, technology will be better utilized if the recipients are on same page with you. Putting great technology in an area were there is inconsistent support structures to enable optimal use of the technology is like driving a car in the dark.

You are absolutely correct, technology will be better utilized if the recipients are on same page with you. Putting great technology in an area were there is inconsistent support structures to enable optimal use of the technology is like driving a car in the dark.

Steve Obiago

"Putting great technology in an area were there is inconsistent support structures to enable optimal use of the technology is like driving a car in the dark.". That seems like the summary. That car analogy is even clearer for anyone that plans to buy Mac Pro $5000 for a very slow network. You have spent a fortune for a fast laptop but now limited by a slow network.