DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

This Little Girl Told Santa She Didn't Want To Sit on His Lap & His Reaction Went Viral

Consent is such a heavy and loaded concept for adults.

We know how serious the ramifications can be in the real world. When we begin explaining this idea to children, however, it doesn’t have to be heavy or something that leaves parents filled with dread. It starts with teaching very young children that they don’t have to allow anyone access to their bodies if they don’t want to.

That includes kisses, hugs and even the tradition of sitting on Santa’s lap. A video illustrating just that recently went viral for all the right reasons.

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 14 (June 3 – Sept 2, 2024) begins registrations; get massive discounts with early registration here.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.

This Miami-based Santa understood the assignment.

Earlier this month, Katie Love took her 3-year-old daughter, Adley, to get photos with Santa at a Ritz Carlton in Miami, Today.com reported. This particular Santa understood the assignment. When he asked Adley if she wanted to sit on his lap, she responded firmly, “No.” Instead of trying to force her into climbing on his lap and taking the picture, Santa praised Adley for setting boundaries. More from CafeMom: Generation Z Parents Try To Cancel Santa & Say He's a Lie That Causes Kids Trauma

Mom was thrilled with his response.

Katie was so impressed by Santa’s response that she asked him to repeat himself so she could record it. In the video that made it to TikTok, Santa said, “This is her body and she’s in control of her body. I asked her if she wanted to sit on my lap. She said 'No.' And I said, ‘Way to stand up for yourself.’ You can't let even Santa Claus — if Santa Claus says, 'Do you want to sit on my lap?'— if you don't want to, you say, No.

Santa's message was familiar to Adley.

His message was one Katie and her husband Aaron Martin, have been trying to instills at home. They’ve taught Adley that she never has to accept a hug or kiss from anyone, not even her parents. Adley knows it’s always her choice and she can give a high-five instead, she said, per Today.com. “We don’t pressure her to have any kind of unwanted touch. When we were growing up, we were told, ‘Be polite. Sit on your weird uncle’s lap,’ and I don’t want that for my daughter.”

This Santa was happy to learn he was going viral and why.

Steve Lantz, the Santa that day, is also a Presbyterian minister who goes by the nickname, "The Rev Santa." Lantz got choked up learning that he had gone viral for such a positive reason. My wife and I have a 6-year-old daughter and a 10-year-old son, and we started teaching them at a very early age that they are in control of their bodies, the father of two told Today.com. “There are times I will ask my daughter, ‘Do you want a hug?’ And if she says ‘No,’ I honour that. I don’t push. I never ask twice.

Uploaded files: