Thank you LinkedIn Local Lagos for the invitation. It is always hard talking about career since career is a continuum. Largely, the summary of my talk is this:
- Harmonize your passion and mission to ensure pursuing your passion can pay your bills. Missions should be short-term goals you set in your career. As you get those missions done, you will be closer to your career vision.
- Build and accumulate capabilities to make the mission happen. These capabilities include knowledge skills (from schools), networks and contacts, acquired job experiences, etc.
- Execute and make those capabilities work. The best phase after accumulation of capabilities is using them to fix personal and professional frictions: rents, family upkeeps, grow businesses, get promotions, etc.
As you work on all, have awareness and observation for opportunities. This is necessary because the world is not linear when it comes to careers. There would be challenges on the ways – deal with them and stay on track. Unless you are aware and very observant, you may not notice that a skill you may have cherished has expired. So, your antenna must be sharp to ensure while pursuing the vision, you are attentive to the realities of markets and shifts.
And finally, it is important you define your career fulfillment. Yes, you may be made to work for someone while your friend is cut for starting things. That your friend is a founder does not mean you have to leave your progressing career in a bank to start a company..
Let me say – thank you to everyone who made it.
1. Register for Tekedia Mini-MBA here (Aug 10 - Dec 3). Four months, online, and costs $140 or N50,000 naira. We also have Certificate courses on logistics, startups, career dev, etc.
2. Read my new book, The Dangote System: Techniques for Building Conglomerates.