Great perspective from Tekedia Mini-MBA alum, Anwuli Emmanuella Awogu. In this linked article, she shares 7 lessons which can help business owners and entrepreneurs thrive, as they pursue their missions, drawing perspectives from a movie. Here are the 7 lessons with my commentary after each.
- Be Unashamed of Promoting your Business: in a world where controlling demand is strategic, if you do not promote it, you have no mission.
- The Importance of Brand Positioning: supply is unbounded which means finding your spot in that ocean is important.
- Not Every Risk is Worth Taking: blessed is he/she who knows the right battle to fight.
- Documentation is Key: you can only improve what you measure – and documentation is part of that process.
- Innovate or Die: If you allow others to set the new basis of competition, you have one option available – extinction.
- Know When to Quit: If all fails, pivot because tomorrow has promises. Fighting the good fight means leaving some fights and entering some new ones.
- Brand Promise is Key: digital systems have built new nexus of trust, making it possible to break the old rules “do not enter a stranger’s car” [Uber] and do not sleep in a stranger’s house [Airbnb]. If you check, Uber and Airbnb have broken the fears of your grandparents on safety. Yes, a brand is more than a logo!
Here is the piece.
1. Advance your career with Tekedia Mini-MBA (Sept 13 – Dec 6, 2021): 140 global faculty, online, self-paced, $140 (or N50,000 naira). Click and register here.
2. Click to join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and own a piece of Africa’s finest startups with a minimum of $10,000 investment.