DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

#BBNaija Shows Why Nigeria is a Land of Opportunity

I have never watched Big Brother Nigeria #BBNaija. But when I heard that people spend N30 per vote, I wanted to know how. My understanding is that it is something my bishop would not like us to watch. Yesterday, Miracle won the grand prize of N20 million cash, SUV, etc. But that is for the papers; you know where I am landing.

Miracle Ikechukwu Igbokwe has emerged the winner of Big Brother Nigeria #BBNaija, reality show. Miracle beats one of the most controversial housemates, Cee-C to win the ultimate grand prize of N20million cash, a brand new SUV among other prizes. Miracle is a young pilot and also a model.
A total of 170 million votes were cast in the 85-day event, with 30 million votes coming in the final week of the show.

Yes, 170 million votes were recorded at average cost of N30 per vote. The total revenue from the voting is N5.1 billion*. For comparison sake, many insurance companies in Nigeria do not hit that number as annual revenue.

Nigeria buys ANYTHING and that is why that country is unique. People call it the land of opportunity; many will be looking at stats from World Bank. They miss the point – anything sells in Nigeria!

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 14 (June 3 – Sept 2, 2024) begins registrations; get massive discounts with early registration here.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.

*We do not know how many votes were free (i.e. unpaid). Yet, there are sponsorship, ads, opportunities to sell the phone numbers especially during this election, and more. Largely, the N5.1B (cumulative) may be low.

Spot-on Ndubuisi. Anything sells in Nigeria. I like the business model of the promoters.

I didn't watch, wasn't really interested; but very much interested in those sms figures. Small minded people were looking at who would win N30 million or whatever, while some of us have been busy crunching the numbers the promoters go home with.

Just like in the days of Who wants to be Millionaire, the real money is never in the activity itself, but the with guys behind the activity.

Note: I deleted a comment here because the writer was abusing people. It is fair to make a case without attacking people personally. You have a right to comment provided there is no personal attacks. Make your point with your own data and share.

I agree with you on your remarks about ad-hominem attacks.  I won't quote from an article that does that again. However, that doesn't detract from the fact that your analysis was based on faulty assumptions that lead to inaccurate conclusions.  Your take on this so called opportunity is clearly not accurate.

Thanks Don. You might have missed this Disclosure which is under the piece.

*We do not know how many votes were free (i.e. unpaid). Yet, there are sponsorship, ads, opportunities to sell the phone numbers especially during this election, and more. Largely, the N5.1B (cumulative) may be low.

Forgive me, but it strains credulity that the figure N5.1B could even be attained let alone that it may be low. And we are talking Total revenue figures here.  The show ran for 85 days.

First of all, The Presenter of the show, Ebuka-Obi Uchendu claimed there were 170 million votes recorded for the totality of the show, and specifically 30 million votes for the finale week of the show. The first thing to realize is that not all votes are coming from Nigeria, it's world -wide voting since you can vote online and online votes are FREE. So, we don't even know how many of the 170 million votes were ONLINE OR SMS. SMS cost N30 each and are only available to Nigerians.

Note that a sim is allowed to vote up too 100 times as is the same on the mobile site with your phone and  on the website with your laptop/desktop. That's 200 votes online and basically anyone anywhere that has registered account on the site can vote. To register, you just need a valid phone number and email address anywhere.

If I can rack up too 200 free online votes with just one email address and a phone number, Imagine what I can do with 10 different email addresses and phone numbers created just for this purpose. That's 2000 votes in the bag for FREE, yet it will cost me N3000 to get a measly 100 sms votes. You can readily see why this notion of N5.1 b from supposed 170m sms votes is just hogwash. And this is even without stating the cut of the Telcos which will definitely be larger than whatever BBnaija organisers will take home since they provide the platform.

As for the sponsors, they are sponsored by Payporte, Heritage Bank, MiniMee, Pepsi, Dano Milk. I don't know how much is charged for sponsorship and adverts, but whatever it is, I'm pretty such it isn't in the order of billions of naira cumulative.

Well as for opportunities to market the phone numbers to political parties, I'm sure that raises data privacy issues but that's an opportunity for the Telcos and not the BBnaija organisers.

I don't know how much they make but it's not remotely near N5.1b($14m).

Donxavier has reacted to this post.
Donxavier

Good points but you do not know the number also. And the amount is potentially from N0 to N5.1 billion. Yes, zero in case none was paid. Of course, if the organizers are concerned they could make the numbers public. This is how public debate works - you make assumptions. All could be FREE or all Paid. They can explain.

There is nothing bad in what people have noted. The key thing to note is that the amount is somewhere from zero to N5.1B. People usually take the max possible. That is how debates work. But if BBNaija puts a press release now and says, we got 170M with 70% paid, this ends. The fact they have not, they have to accept the max as POSSIBLE.

Yet, your point is valid. But we need a number and you have not provided any. So, I go with mine.