DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Facebook Goes Laser

This is very fascinating - Facebook wants to connect the world via lasers, IEEE Spectrum reports. Add SpaceX Starlink, present GSM players, and others, you will agree that by 2022, we will be in the era of immersive connectivity.

Facebook has long been interested in free space optical, or laser, communication technology. Lasers are able to support much higher data rates than radio transmitters for a given input power, and their signals are largely immune to interference or hacking, although clouds can be problematic.

Although Facebook developed millimeter-wave E-band links for its stratospheric Aquila drones, it was also experimenting with air-to-ground laser communications before it canceled its drone program last June. The laser tests, which used technology supplied by German company Mynaric, succeeded in establishing 10-gigabit-per-second links between a ground station and a light aircraft flying overhead.

Prof. From your writings I understand that this has now arrived Nigeria where facebook is working with MainOne in the deployed phase.

My question is how will this revolutionize the ISP (internet service provider) business in Nigeria and how will existing ISPs in the country take advantage of this technology.

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 14 (June 3 – Sept 2, 2024) begins registrations; get massive discounts with early registration here.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.

It is easy - data will be cheaper, making it more affordable. ISP business will not just be in Lagos but other cities as these firms expand. Existing ISPs should talk to MainOne and telcos under these partnerships.

Chibuzo has reacted to this post.
Chibuzo

Thank you sir

Please note that one of the key things to look is Value-Added-Services in the ISP world. For example, ISP can power clinics on electronic medical records, IoT for tracking, etc on an enterprise level with special structure. ISPs cannot just exist on pure selling of data. That is an expired model.

Chibuzo has reacted to this post.
Chibuzo

Prof. am happy to have finally have the opportunity to interact with you on this platform.

I would love to have a deeper perspective on the model you just discussed above, please let me know how and when to get this insights.

Thank you.

Feel free to write my team - I will be happy to speak with you if you want.