DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

JAMB Makes N8.5billion on Forms

JAMB is having a great year in Nigeria. It made N8.5 billion from the sale of forms to about 1.6 million students.

The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board generated a princely N8.453billion from the sales of forms to applicants seeking admission into tertiary institutions in Nigeria in 2018, PREMIUM TIMES can authoritatively report. A top official of the Board told this newspaper Friday morning that the revenue came from payments made by 1,602,762 candidates who registered for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) held across the country in March

As I have noted, I do not expect JAMB to be revenue generating for the federal government. Let it just charge enough to cover its expenses. Anything more would be troubling. Yes, JAMB should not be NNPC or Corporate Affairs Commission which are expected to generate revenue for the federal government.

JAMB as I have noted before is not Corporate Affairs Commission. Nigeria should not see collecting more money from its teens as a sign of success. The only thing a poor man gets from Nigeria is our largely affordable public education.  JAMB is an extension of that, and must not be commercialized with remittance targets

Besides, we could make JAMB results to have multi-year value before they expire. While that would reduce the revenue collected, it would help students who pass the exam and yet cannot get in because there is no available space in the tertiary institutions. Yet,  it is very commendable the way JAMB Management has been sharing information to the public. Let them keep that going.

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 14 (June 3 – Sept 2, 2024) begins registrations; get massive discounts with early registration here.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.