DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Naming a digital company

The name you give your company matters. And the names you put on the products could drive markets. When Google decided to rename its smartwatch software from Android Wear to Wear OS, it wanted to send a message that Google-powered smartwatches are compatible with iPhones as well as Android phones. For most digital companies, you begin the naming process on a domain registration platform, looking for names which are available for registration. It does not make sense to have a great name which is not available for website registration in any useful format.

A company’s name is an identity. In the digital world, that identity must not be lost. Having a site like theshoecompany while descriptive will struggle online as it has no uniqueness. I have named my businesses Zenvus, Medcera, Tekedia, and Facyber, focusing on how to get .com domains and also a clear brand separation. All started from the web, making sure the domains are available before any Corporate Affairs Commission (or equivalent) registration.

These days to get a beautiful name for your brand or product is becoming a premium thing; sometimes it does appear that all the fine names have been owned.

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 14 (June 3 – Sept 2, 2024) begins registrations; get massive discounts with early registration here.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.

But naming is an art, once you understand that very well, you just discover that you could create a unique name on anything you want, even while standing.

It's no science, just create a mental picture of what you would like the brand to be known for, or the problem the product could solve; the finer details becomes a question how well you can play with words or letters.

Drawing from naming new born babies it could be an exciting experience. Translate that experience into naming brands or products and so on and it becomes even more interesting.

Coming up with a name for a product, brand or website should be preceded by pure excitement, enthusiasm or call it free mind. One of my Professors at school once said, "If you start 'thinking', you have already failed it." He wanted us to go about design from a mind happy, excited or full of enthusiasm. He promised us that with passion, excitement, etc certain things will just come to mind.

On a certain day at school this same Prof. gave us an impromptu test. He told us not to think about the answer but to happily write whatever comes to mind but guided by the principles he taught us during the previous lecture. I risked it and to my surprised scored 100%. Since then, 1992, I have come to accept that certain things and I guess including naming should be out-of-the-box exercise and not like a formal routine or process.

Just visualize the future and write names down and then select the best three, bounce them around and you will come up with a name that excites. Remember that if you start 'thinking' you have failed! Just name it!