NASCAR driver Kyle Busch was hospitalized after falling ill.
Quote from Oladosun Joshua Segun on May 21, 2026, 9:55 PM
Kyle Busch's family, together with NASCAR and Richard Childress Racing, confirmed the racing legend’s passing just hours after it was announced that he had been hospitalized due to a “severe illness.” He was 41.
“Our entire NASCAR family is heartbroken by the loss of Kyle Busch,” NASCAR said in a statement shared on X on May 21. “A future Hall of Famer, Kyle was a rare talent, one who comes along once in a generation. He was fierce, passionate, immensely skilled, and cared deeply about the sport and its fans.”
The organization also highlighted his impact on the sport, saying, “His sharp wit and competitive spirit created a deep connection with race fans of every age, building the proud and loyal ‘Rowdy Nation.’”
NASCAR added that it had “lost a giant of the sport far too soon” while extending condolences to his family, friends, teammates, and supporters.
Before news of his passing was confirmed, a statement released on May 21 said, “He is currently undergoing treatment and will not compete in any of his scheduled activities this weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway. We ask for understanding and privacy as our family navigates this situation.”
Busch, who is married to Samantha Busch and has two children, Brexton, 11, and Lennix, 4, had been scheduled to compete in both the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series and Cup Series events in Charlotte.
Busch had not missed a Cup Series race since 2015, when he was sidelined after suffering a fractured foot and leg injuries in a crash.
Richard Childress Racing (RCR) also released a statement supporting their driver and his family.
“Kyle Busch’s health is our utmost priority, and he and his family have the full support and resources of RCR behind them,” the organization stated. “Kyle is an integral part of our organization, and we wish him strength during this difficult time.”
RCR also announced that Austin Hill would fill in for Busch during the weekend races.
According to reports, Busch had recently informed his crew during a race that he needed medical attention after battling a sinus illness that worsened during competition.
Busch leaves behind one of the greatest legacies in NASCAR history, with 234 victories across NASCAR’s three national series — the most by any driver.
Just days before his passing, Busch celebrated another NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series victory and reflected on his career, saying:
“You take whatever you can get, man. You never know when the last one is going to be, so cherish them all — trust me.”

Kyle Busch's family, together with NASCAR and Richard Childress Racing, confirmed the racing legend’s passing just hours after it was announced that he had been hospitalized due to a “severe illness.” He was 41.
“Our entire NASCAR family is heartbroken by the loss of Kyle Busch,” NASCAR said in a statement shared on X on May 21. “A future Hall of Famer, Kyle was a rare talent, one who comes along once in a generation. He was fierce, passionate, immensely skilled, and cared deeply about the sport and its fans.”
The organization also highlighted his impact on the sport, saying, “His sharp wit and competitive spirit created a deep connection with race fans of every age, building the proud and loyal ‘Rowdy Nation.’”
Register for Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 20 (June 8 – Sept 5, 2026).
Register for Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass.
Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and co-invest in great global startups.
Register for Tekedia AI Lab.
NASCAR added that it had “lost a giant of the sport far too soon” while extending condolences to his family, friends, teammates, and supporters.
Before news of his passing was confirmed, a statement released on May 21 said, “He is currently undergoing treatment and will not compete in any of his scheduled activities this weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway. We ask for understanding and privacy as our family navigates this situation.”
Busch, who is married to Samantha Busch and has two children, Brexton, 11, and Lennix, 4, had been scheduled to compete in both the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series and Cup Series events in Charlotte.

Busch had not missed a Cup Series race since 2015, when he was sidelined after suffering a fractured foot and leg injuries in a crash.
Richard Childress Racing (RCR) also released a statement supporting their driver and his family.
“Kyle Busch’s health is our utmost priority, and he and his family have the full support and resources of RCR behind them,” the organization stated. “Kyle is an integral part of our organization, and we wish him strength during this difficult time.”
RCR also announced that Austin Hill would fill in for Busch during the weekend races.
According to reports, Busch had recently informed his crew during a race that he needed medical attention after battling a sinus illness that worsened during competition.
Busch leaves behind one of the greatest legacies in NASCAR history, with 234 victories across NASCAR’s three national series — the most by any driver.
Just days before his passing, Busch celebrated another NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series victory and reflected on his career, saying:

“You take whatever you can get, man. You never know when the last one is going to be, so cherish them all — trust me.”
Uploaded files:Share this:
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
- Click to share on X (Opens in new window) X
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
- Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
- Click to print (Opens in new window) Print



