DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Samsung’s Olympic Size Trap

It is becoming clear that no one really knows what is happening in this world. If not, how could the Olympic committee invite North Korea and Iran to the Winter Olympics game, and yet refuse to give their athletes free Samsung phones, under a lame excuse of UN sanctions.

I expect the Olympics Committee to award medals to athletes from Iran and North Korea should they win. Would UN sanctions come into play since a merchant supplied those medals? Tell me, what is the purpose of Olympics? Why invite them in the first place, if you know their governments were not in peace with UN. It makes no sense to me why sharing phones in an Olympic village would bring issues of UN sanctions.

Iran warned South Korea’s electronics giant Samsung of “repercussions” on Thursday after its delegation to the Winter Olympics was excluded from a handout of free top-of-the-range smartphones to participants. […]

It said the ministry lodged “a strong protest” over Samsung’s “dishonest conduct that is contrary to the spirit of the Olympic Games” […]

Organisers of the Games said Wednesday that athletes from North Korea and Iran would not benefit from the distribution of 4,000 of the Olympics Special Edition of its Galaxy Note 8.

“North Korean and Iranian athletes will be excluded because of existing UN sanctions” against the two countries, a Pyeongchang organising committee spokeswoman told AFP.

Samsung should take over its brand and put some muscles.  It needs to tell the Local Organizing Committee that it if was fair to make medals for any winning athletic from Iran and North Korea, giving the athletes free smartphones would not enrage the United Nations. Someone needs to be in charge in this world.

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 14 (June 3 – Sept 2, 2024) begins registrations; get massive discounts with early registration here.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.

Funny and ridiculous at the same time. So the UN now 'supervises' the IOC and its activities? Free phone DENIED, maybe the organisers forgot that those athletes are still part of citizens of the world, irrespective of what the political actors in their countries are doing.

Well, the whole world is one political field like that, then there are 'parties', depending on where your country falls into; your fate is sealed!

In the meantime, those guys should be given their own Samsung G8, they came for Winter Olympics, and therefore should enjoy all the goodies. Did they come with their own foods and water also?

It does stretch my imagination as to how witholding free phones from athletes will make a difference. Hopefully, other sanctions are more effective!