DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The UN Must Not Allow This in Germany (updated)

Germany Explores Limiting Migrant Remittances to Deter Immigration

I know that the United Nation is largely toothless these days since it cannot even make its points without some special countries attacking the Secretary General. Yet, if Germany goes ahead to do this, a special UN resolution may be necessary:

"As Germany grapples with regional election defeats and a rightward shift in political discourse, the government is exploring unconventional approaches to deter irregular migration, reports DW...Lindner’s proposal involves investigating the technical and legal feasibility of preventing asylum-seekers from sending benefits received in Germany back to their home countries."

In other words, they want to BAN remittance, breaking the rights to use your money the way you want to use it, within the global legal ordinance.

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 14 (June 3 – Sept 2, 2024) begins registrations; get massive discounts with early registration here.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.

Additional Comment (deleted this on social media but leaving it here)

I deleted a post this morning on asylum seekers and remittance in Germany. I had understood the piece as preventing people from sending home economic benefits gained while living in Germany to their home countries. But it does seem, the benefits are possibly welfare benefits, as many of our members commented and noted. If that is what the German government is preventing, it is 100% within its rights.

Yet, while I have deleted it here, I will not delete it on Tekedia since I actually think that my interpretation is correct. Read from the German newspaper which broke the news with this heading “German government mulls limiting migrant remittances”, explaining “The German Finance Ministry says it wants to restrict remittances that migrants send back home. This would risk increasing poverty in poorer countries, say experts.”

I do think remittance and asylum-seekers are lumped together if you read the piece. If they are writing only on asylum seekers, they will not generalize thus: “World Bank statistics show that remittances are a huge part of the flow of money around the world— in fact, remittances to developing countries are now three times as large as development assistance from donor states”. Please read at German DW here . But out of abundance of caution, I have deleted my comment on this policy as I do not want to spread news which may not be true.