DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

When Chinese Kids Learn Igbo Language

I was in Nnamdi Azikiwe University in 2019 to deliver a Keynote Lecture on the invitation of the University Vice Chancellor (Prof. Charles O. Esimone), Rev. Fr. (Prof) Bonachristus Umeogu, the Dean of Faculty of Arts, and other leaders of the university. It was my first time in the University. My good friend, Mr. Valentine Ozigbo, ex-Group CEO of Transcorp Corp Plc (and PDP flagbearer in Anambra State last gubernatorial election) chaired the event.

During my visit, I toured the campus. But the most memorable was the Confucius Institute where many things about China and Chinese are mastered. People, I did not know that I was in Awka.

But I was also reminded that some Igbo & Chinese businessmen (and governments) were funding Igbo language schools in China. Why? They want seamless trade. How? If future Chinese can speak Igbo, business will move faster. As a container man (everyone knows that I like trading by importing things), there is a big business there: if you do not speak Mandarin, you will likely pay more than 40%. But if you can speak Mandarin, you can go to rural markets and get bigger discounts. That is why most Igbo traders are learning Mandarin to enable them go deeper into China for better deals.

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 14 (June 3 – Sept 2, 2024) begins registrations; get massive discounts with early registration here.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.

People, the world respects Nigeria. But I am not sure Nigeria really knows what it has!

Comment on Feed

Comment: I was just laughing all through with the Otu, Abuo, Ato things, trade and commerce are not your mate. For now we are still playing politics and swimming in tribalism, when we care to harness native intelligence and business acumen, we know what to do and who to ask.

I think the Confucius Institute was created by Ilochi Okafor as the VC, it's not just useful for interpreters and translators, now traders who frequent China can learn the local language firsthand, for better bargains in the interior parts of China.

Before you know it, the Chinese will be in the open markets and rural areas here, bargaining and dragging business with you. Nigerians are looking for countries to migrate to, while Chinese are learning the local language to take over.

When Osinbajo exits this joke of a government, he needs to act as a special envoy for Nigeria, he has both the grace and charisma.