I am very happy that National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) and Daar Communications have resolved their differences. And for that, I commend the President of the nation – President Buhari. No leader should allow regulators to be shutting down media houses in his/her administration – that was for the old dark ages.
The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) and Daar Communications have resolved their weeks-long confrontation, days after Daar’s broadcast stations were shut down by the regulator.
A statement by the Newspaper Proprietors’ Association of Nigeria (NPAN) said the truce was secured on Sunday night by a committee that was set up to look into the face-off between NBC and Daar Communications’ AIT and Ray Power FM.
The NBC will lift its ban on the stations, while Daar will withdraw its lawsuit, both sides agreed
Following the dialogue dialogue, all parties resolved as follows:
1. DAAR Communications Plc. will work out a new realistic payment plan with the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) and ensure prompt payments in accordance with the new plan;
2. DAAR Communications Plc. will appoint an Ombudsman to ensure balance in its news coverage especially political commentary; it will also take full editorial responsibility for the use of content sourced from social media outlets;
3. Following this NPO statement, The NBC will immediately lift the suspension of the broadcast license of DAAR Communications Plc;
4. DAAR Communications Plc. will withdraw its case in court, against the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) and;
5. All parties will take necessary steps to work together to build confidence in the public interest------
Register for next edition of Tekedia Mini-MBA (June 22 - Oct 22, 2020) here. Four months, online, and costs $140 or N50,000 naira .