He was sold by his brethren, and later found himself in a jail with servants of Pharaoh. They dreamt and he interpreted their dreams, a pro bono service which he used to showcase his abilities. But he did one critical thing: he told one of the servants to remember him when he finally gets out of jail.
Then Pharaoh had a dream and was troubled. None of his astrologers and thinkers could help. And one of the jailed servants, now free, told Pharaoh: “Now there was a young Hebrew man with us there…he interpreted our dreams for us… And it came to pass, just as he interpreted for us, so it happened”. Pharaoh sent for Joseph, and he helped his master.
Some lessons here:
- Register here for Tekedia Mini-MBA (Jun 6 – Sep 3, 2022)
- Pay N60,000 ($140) by May 18 early bird deadline.
(1) Joseph did a pro bono (not paid) and showcased his skills.
(2) Joseph was very clear and told the servant to remember him. That request was clear and definite: “But when all goes well with you, remember me and show me kindness; mention me to Pharaoh and get me out of this prison.”
This is the deal: until people could recommend you in your absence, the promotion may not come. Joseph was recommended before the king while he was still in jail because he did a great job, and he also spoke for the person to put good words for him.
How many times have you asked your colleagues to put “some nice words” when necessary for you, besides them just thanking you for a job well done? Happy Sunday.
Reference: Genesis 40 and 41
Comment #1: The Bible has countless lessons. This is a professional trend that is still used a lot today- recommendation.
I tell people that one of the things I value most is trust. I want my yes to be yes. I ensure that the task which I have committed to do is done.
What I am doing is simple, I am building reputation which would eventually make ways for me.
Like Joseph, I will be more outspoken about asking for recommendations. Even linkedIn has it :)
Thanks for sharing this Prof. Ndubuisi Ekekwe
Comment #2: Joseph was recommended because he delivered value, the recommendation would have been worthless if he had nothing to offer. In other words, value attracts value.
You can be a plumber or mechanic but still have influential and wealthy people as friends, how? Just by doing a fine job when called in by one of them, and from there – they keep recommending you to those in their circles, because your quality of work is peerless. Before you know it, you start attending functions and events meant for the super rich, because you a great guy.
The world really doesn’t have much need of mediocres and those who cannot be linked with anything worthwhile, it is extremely difficult to help anyone who cannot do anything well, do not be that person.---
1. Advance your career with Tekedia Mini-MBA (Jun 6 – Sep 3, 2022): beat early bird fee of $140 (or N60,000 naira) before it goes. Click and register here.
2. Click and register for Tekedia Startup Masterclass and master the secrets from start-up to unicorn. Cost is N180,000 naira or $400.
3. Click to join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and own a piece of Africa’s finest startups with a minimum of $10,000 investment.