- Discover synergies between the labs
- Share best practices and help new organizations emerge
- Enhance visibility of the network and her actors, share success stories
- Organize networking events and facilitate other exchanges, both online and offline
- Secure resources for the network by establishing a revolving fund
- Generally promote developments in this space and explore other common interests.
On March 3rd 2010, founders from several established African tech incubators and open collaboration spaces @HiveColab @iHub @NaiLab @Bantalabs and @ActivSpaces came together for the iHub launch in Nairobi. The meeting hosted by NaiLab (an iHub neighbor) made clear that each of the labs shares in a common vision to promote technology as a platform for entrepreneurship on the continent. The labs have a lot to gain by working together and it was in this thinking that AfriLabs was born.
As a network organization, AfriLabs seeks to build on this common vision and further promote the growth and development of the African technology sector. By working together the labs improve their chances of success, generating more success stories and decent work for young Africans, both as a means of self-employment and as job creation for others.